Thursday 13 September 2012

McFarland gets 'Shocks'

 
Shocks to the System - Subversive Horror Films has been accepted by the publisher McFarland. They were my first choice of publisher and their horror catalogue is enormous; among their authors are John Kenneth Muir, Tom Weaver, Dennis Fischer, Bruce Hallenbeck, Adam Rockoff, Charles Derry, Greg Mank, Tom Johnson, Joseph Maddrey, Gary Rhodes and many others - so it is a huge honour to have Shocks to the System accepted by them.

No publication date has been set as yet, but I will be posting regular updates in the forthcoming months.

As always, I want to thank the readers of this blog for their support and comments over the past year or so. I think one of the reasons McFarland want the book is because of the readership of the blog, and so I hope that continues to grow!

Many thanks for your interest everyone.

8 comments:

A hero never dies said...

Many congratulations Jon, this is excellent news and well deserved.

systemshocks said...

Thanks, Martin. And thanks again for your visits over the past year or so!

A hero never dies said...

Completely my pleasure Jon. Those McFarland books are expensive any chance of a discount for your loyal readers?

I should have put one of those stupid smiley colon things after that to indicate I'm joking but I'm old school and refuse to resort to such things.

systemshocks said...

Did you mean one of these ;-)?

James Gracey said...

Congratulations Jon, this is fantastic news! Shocks To The System sounds like it will be a compelling read, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it in the coming months.

In other (good) news, I see your piece on subversive 1930s horror cinema has made the cover of the latest Paracinema Magazine. Nice work! Can't wait to read it. :)

systemshocks said...

Aw, thanks James. Oh, wow - didn't realise I was on the Paracinema cover! I'm feeling a little giddy...

Wes said...

Congratulations all round Jon, this is a tremendous achievement - not just putting together a book-length study (in my world of blogging and micro-writing, it seems a colossal undertaking), but having it put out by McFarland no less. I know regular readers like myself will be really excited by the news so well done ! I’m really looking forward to the book – we’ve seen little tasters throughout these pages, and I think the subject matter you’re writing about is fascinating and breathes new life in some tired old classics – I’ve personally gone back to films discussed on this blog with a fresh perspective and found much food for thought, a new way of seeing... If I remember rightly this blog began life as a sort of testing ground for ideas when you were putting the book together and I hope you continue posting – I’ve seen this blog mutate and grow beyond its original mission statement into one of the more original and eclectic film blogs out there.

systemshocks said...

Ah, thanks Wes. You have followed this blog from the very beginning and your comments and suggestions really helped me find the approach I wanted to take with it. Yes, the book is a colossal undertaking and I have a huge amount of work to get it ready for publication. I will still be posting though, both during the writing and after the book is published. This blog is companion to the book and there will always be new films to critique and new topics to discuss after the book comes out...