Wednesday 16 May 2012

Return of the Living Dead Returns!

Dan O'Bannon's classic 1985 schlockfest comes out on Blu Ray on 4th June in a Special Edition. As well as containing four hours of extras, including the excellent making of documentary, More Brains!, this re-release (also on DVD) reinstates the original 1985 soundtrack. Read my review here.

Watch out for issue 377 of Starburst Magazine, in which I interview ROTLD stars Jewel Shepard, Brian Peck and the legendary Linnea Quigley. And I write about Dan O'Bannon's rarely-seen early student shorts Bloodbath (1969) and Foster's Release (1970), the latter of which, it is claimed, had a major influence on John Carpenter when he came to make Halloween (1978).

Issue 377 is available at WH Smiths. Or you can order from the Starburst website from 18th May.

4 comments:

Wes said...

Yeah, a fantastic film and no amount of indifferent sequels can change that. Jon, your reference to Re-Animator is well made, I think both films are expert examples of mixing comedy and Horror, and I'll take Living Dead's "Send more paramedics" over Jaws' "You're gonna need a bigger boat", any time. I picked up the More Brains doc last year and it's essential viewing for fans of the film - it's not quite as brilliant as the Elm Street chronicle Never Sleep Again, but hugely entertaining nonetheless...

systemshocks said...

Thanks, Wes. I like ROTLD 3 as well - but then I'm a big fan of Brian Yuzna whom I think is under-rated. Thanks for the heads up on the Elm Street doc - haven't seen that one yet. Evil Dead 2 is also a film that seems to get better with age (to me at least) expertly mixing horror and comedy.

James Gracey said...

I came pretty late to the ROTLD films. I've seen the first two quite a few times now and love their sense of humour and punky style. Alas, I've yet to explore beyond part two. I also dig Mr Yuzna though, so maybe I should give 'em a whirl. Will also have to keep my eyes peeled for the new Starburst!

systemshocks said...

Part 3 is well worth a view, James. I actually like it better than part 1. Part 2 I haven't seen. I hear it's pretty poor, and that parts 4 & 5 are dire!