Thursday 1 November 2012

Maniac plays at Mayhem Horror Festival

I'm at the Mayhem Horror Festival in Nottingham, UK. Looking forward to a great weekend's line up which includes Ben Wheatley's Sightseers, Joe Wright's Grabbers, The Casebook of Eddie Brewer, Guinea Pigs, Dead Sushi, Jennifer Chambers Lynch's Chained, Rabies, V/H/S, Manborg, American Mary and the premiere of Steven Sheil's second feature Dead Mine.

The festival got off to a great start last night with Frank Khalfoun's remake of the infamous 1980s sleazefest Maniac. I found it a formally quite brilliant and fascinating piece of work.

Check out my review of Maniac on the Starburst Website, where I'll also be posting updates on the festival.

Adieu.

5 comments:

Wes said...

Heading straight over to yr review after posting this Jon. Of the current crop of remakes looming on the horizon, I made my mind up to skip The Evil Dead, but the trailer for Maniac had something that intruiged me...

systemshocks said...

Well worth a watch, Wes. Very assured piece of work. I saw Sightseers last night at Mayhem, another film I would recommend highly. Brief review of Sightseers and the Irish monster movie Grabbers over at

systemshocks said...

Oops, link didn't work! Reviews for Sightseers and Grabbers over at Starburstmagazine.com

James Gracey said...

I really enjoyed your review of Maniac, Jon. Sounds like there's a lot going on in it. I was intrigued by it as soon as I heard it was to be completely shot from Wood's character's POV. Made me think of Mulvey's analysis of 'The Gaze' in slasher cinema. Very curious to check it out.
Hope you're well!

systemshocks said...

Hey, James. Yes, Maniac would be the perfect case study of Mulvey. In fact, the more I think about about it, the more I am convinced it is a truly great piece of work. Definitely one to watch again. I have to say, though that of all the films I saw at Mayhem, the one that affected me the most was Jennifer Lynch's Chained, which was absolutely gut wrenching.